7/10/11

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I had the pleasure of working with a friend to co-direct a kid's Shakespeare camp this summer.  We did A Midsummer Night's Dream.  It was for 5-6 year olds, but we ended up with a lot of older siblings helping out.  My role emerged as a music coordinator, of sorts, and it was so much fun!  I basically chose to stick with one simple melody that was used in a song throughout the play.  By the time the performance came along, we had kids playing on guitar, recorder, violin, percussion, and harp.  I added in diddies on the mandolin and trumpet.  The whole week was just sweet and inspiring.  I loved spending my days with this group of kids, who really are an unusually fine crew.  It was a thrill to hear them memorize the Shakespearean English.  I am sure those words will stay with them for a long time, as will the melody.  I love thinking of my kids being involved with this for years to come.  It started with a group of friends who knew each other already, and the friendliness of it has been maintained.  What a great way to start the summer! 

Getting ready for the battle scene, where Thesesus and Hippolyta fight each other.
 Fairies, singing their Queen Titania to sleep in the forest.
 Pyramus and Thisby, trying to reach each other through the Wall.



 We've spent time with these girls over several occasions, but it was warming to see G-bear discover them anew during this week of camp.






 Moo, playing Titania to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment