There are so many diets out there. I'm less interested in the diets that are geared toward weight loss. What I want (and I believe most people want) is to feel vibrant and energized. But, whether it's my personality or whatever, I never seem to stick to one diet. I think it's because I don't believe in any of them strongly enough to totally shift my lifestyle.
But now, after all this experimenting, I have decided this: vegetables and fruit and nuts are energy producers. Dairy is inflammatory and does nothing good for your immune system. Meat, well, I just don't crave it (unless I'm in the company of Carlos!), so I don't feel the need, and don't believe we need it for protein. These things combined point me to the vegan diet. Since I'm not an extremist, I will consider myself vegan-lite for now. What this means to me is that when I am cooking for myself, I will choose to eat vegan. When others are feeding me, I will enjoy what their labor has produced for me. Occasionally, there will be times when I enjoy a bite of ice cream or even a hamburger. I vow to do this guilt-free, because I strongly believe that food and guilt should not be mixed.
What it comes down to is this: veggies and fruit and wine and nuts are appealing to me, and they're good for me. So why not?
Tonight, I cooked for myself. I surprised myself by making something delicious and vegan. Here it is:
2 red onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 carrot, sliced
1 package shredded brussel sprouts
cook these things in a pot with a generous amount of olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.
when soft, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sliced almonds.
yum!

Yum. Shredded sprouts? Trader joes?
ReplyDeletei love this.
ReplyDeletea few days ago i had a near spiritual experience eating meat (not typical).
jerry had killed the deer on his family land, brought it home, butchered it himself, and then explained that it was like we were "one with the land." we were ingesting the energy of that place.
this morning i'm eating bread made by the wheat from a friend's farm that jerry ground.
i love this post. it speaks to my heart and spirit.