3/20/12

Testosterone

I'm in the middle of learning about the 3-4 year old testosterone surge.  Parents who have been here give me a knowing nod, which is actually quite reassuring.  Sometimes Bug will insist upon playing with weapons, even though he doesn't even know what they are called.  He calls them "fighty things."  Sometimes his physical power is more than he thought, and he surprises himself (as well as his sisters or parents) by being too rough when he didn't mean to.  Sometimes he has a tantrum (though there's mostly another reason for that).  Sometimes, he has a high need for wrestle-time.

While all these things pose parenting challenges that I am not used to, knowing that there is a reason for this, I can take it as it comes.  I can create boundaries and rules that still allow him to get what he needs.  I can see it as a part of who he is becoming.  Just knowing is a powerful thing.  Thank goodness for the wisdom of parents who have been there.



3 comments: